The Manufacturing Technology Centre (MTC), a part of the HVM Catapult, was approached by Vortex Exhaust Technology Ltd to investigate using 3D scanning systems on exhausts, to reverse engineer and produce CAD models without excessive manual operations. The challenge for the MTC was to investigate methods to reduce the quantity of jigs stored on site and improve performance simulation.
The MTC identified the most appropriate 3D point cloud gathering system to use in the under-car environment, by comparing different low-cost metrology systems within the market against a known capability system and the MTC. They sourced a simulation software that can be adopted to improve the capability of Vortex’s process.
The outputs allow us to make better decisions about using 3D scanning technology. The MTC bridges the gap between academia and industry and I would recommend them to other organisations, especially when it concerns knowledge of the current state-of-the-art in technology
Mike Campbell, R&D Director, Vortex Exhaust Technology Ltd
• The MTC identified the most appropriate processing software and presented it to Vortex for converting a point cloud into a CAD model.
• Vortex are now able to optimise their module position and design along the length of the exhaust by importing their CAD models into a simulation package.
• They can now also develop their CAD technology further to reduce the amount of manual manufacturing.
Benefits to the Client
• 3D point cloud gathering technology enables Vortex to scan an existing car exhaust and manufacture it to the correct size without a manual building process, reducing time and increasing efficiency.
• Through virtual modification of exhausts, Vortex have reduced the time it takes to complete a unit and have upskilled their workforce.
• Increase in performance of the exhausts, making them more competitive.